The first research vessel “Anton Dohrn” was used by the Stazione Zoologica di Napoli. This “Anton Dohrn” was a steamship (27 m, 150 tons). It was built under the supervision of Dr. A.S. Ulrey, and used from 1914 to 1917. In 1917 it was purchased by the University of Southern California.
See the article and photo on page 355 of “La Scienza per Tutti 1917_23”.